TAG | interesting
Sweet Home Alabama is home to some pretty sweet roadside attractions, but it’s the wacky ones that stand out the most. Offering world-renowned “big” attractions and historic relics from some of the world’s most well-known names, Alabama is packed to the brim with all things weird.
So join us as we Jurnii across Alabama and discover what is so sweet about it!
1. Hitler’s Typewriter: Bessemer, Alabama
As morbid as Hitler memorabilia may be, it’s hard for many to ignore their inquisitive nature about history’s most reviled maniac. Keepsakes of this hated man are scattered all across the country, but it’s the town of Bessemer, Alabama, that has the most interesting of the lot.
Hitler’s typewriter is the most popular exhibit in this Hall of History and folks around here like to push the point that “orders that marched armies to their death were typed here”. Slightly sinister yes, but it doesn’t stop the crowds lining up to check out this incredible slice of history.
2. African Village in America: Birmingham, Alabama
As far as weird and wacky in Alabama goes, there really is nothing stranger than Birmingham’s African Village. Joe Minter has been developing this tribute to African-America in his backyard since 1989, and all attractions have been built from the likes of old sports equipment, baking pans, footwear, toys and Christmas lawn decorations.
Most of Joe’s creations carry or moral or political message so if you look hard enough you will begin to recognize the hidden messages this park is trying to put across.
3. Ave Maria Grotto: Cullman, Alabama
Finding a Grotto on the roadside that isn’t, well grotty, is a hard feat, but you may just be pleasantly surprised when you come across the Ave Maria Grotto in Cullman, Alabama.
This Grotto pays tribute to the world’s most important religious structures, along with fascinating structures like the Leaning Tower of Pisa and Hansel and Gretel’s Temple of the Fairies.
4. DeSoto Caverns: Childersburg, Alabama
More than just a hole in the ground, the DeSoto Caverns are an ideal kiddies attraction, with more novelty attractions than some theme parks. Pan for gold and run around the maze, and be sure to check out the 2000-year-old jaw bone of a 7-foot tall Woodland Indian.
However it’s the caves that are really set to amaze, with their frozen Niagaras and Stalactites never failing to disappoint.
5. World’s Largest Chair Battle: Anniston, Alabama
The ongoing battle for the title of “World’s Largest Chair” has been amusing Americans for over a century. However it wasn’t until 1981 that one was erected in Anniston, Alabama. The chair was set to break all records at an impressive 31-foot tall and was constructed using 10 tons of steel.
This chair is one for the ages and is the town’s claim to fame.
Do you call Alabama home? Tell us about your strangest experiences here in the comments below.
Our brains often become overloaded with information that usually goes in one ear, and out the other. Trivial facts seem to wedge themselves far into the back of our minds and generally come in handy in trivial times.
These fun 10 facts about cars will drive you crazy and you will no doubt find them hard to forget any time soon!
1. The first cars didn’t have steering wheels. Drivers had to steer with a lever! So basically, it was just like a games console…but REAL!
2. The first car radio was invented in 1929. What people listened to on long trips before this is beyond me!
3. The automobile is the most recycled consumer product in the world today! So where are all our milk cartons disappearing to?
4. Over 90% of car owners admit to singing behind the wheel. I think the other 10% are lying…
5. Japan produced the most passenger vehicles/most total vehicles world wide in 2006. Go figure!
6. The city with the most Rolls Royce’s per capita is Hong Kong. The royals must be cutting costs or something!
7. On average a human being spends two weeks of their entire lives waiting for traffic lights to change…feels like more sometimes though!
8. An airbag takes only 40 milliseconds to inflate after an accident. Too bad if your injury occurs before that!
9. The United States has almost one car per person. Even babies!
10. The Most Expensive Car in 2010 Cost Over Two Million Dollars. Luckily only 3 of these were ever produced
Know of any other weird facts about cars? Share them in the comments below!