Britz Terms & Conditions
Conditions for RV Rental USA
Valid from 1st April 2019
Summary of Rental Conditions
This document contains a brief summary of our rental conditions. The full details of our rental contract do apply. Rates quoted are in US dollars.
Branch Opening Hours
8:00am - 5:00pm
8:00am - 1.00pm
Denver Branch is closed December 1 to February 23 2020
All Branches are closed on the following Statutory Holidays
- Memorial Day 27 May 2019
- Independence Day 4 July 2019
- Labor day 2 September 2019
- Thanksgiving 28 November 2019
- Christmas 25 December 2019
- New Years Day 1 January 2020
- Presidents Day 17 February 2020
Pick Up Time
At pick up the main renter must be present with the original driver license and physical credit card showing his/her name. We also require the original driver’s license for any additional drivers in order for them to be insured and legally allowed to drive the motorhome. We accept the original driver’s license in English, Dutch, German, Spanish, Portuguese, French, or Italian. If the driver’s license is in any language other than the above an international driver’s license or an official English translation must be presented at pick-up alongside the original.
We have the right, and legal obligation, to deny a renter the motorhome when the renter seems not capable to drive a motorhome, e.g. intoxicated, suspicion to be under drug influence, etc.
While it is possible that somebody else in the party drives the main renter will in such cases - no original driver license, not deemed to be fit to drive - not be listed on the rental agreement as driver and therefore not be covered by any insurance. Still the main renter remains fully responsible for the motorhome. If the main renter wants to be entered as driver he/she needs to return at a later time to one of our branches and obtain an updated rental agreement.
To avoid waiting times all customers are asked to check-in online and communicate with the branch to schedule the exact pick-up time. A very limited number of earlier and free of charge appointments may be available by calling the pick-up branch two or three business days prior to pick-up. Regular vehicle pick-up times are
Monday to Friday 12:30 noon and 4:00 PM.
Saturday Call for an appointment (general pick-up time 12:00 - 13:00)
To aviod waiting times or to schedule pick up please call the branch.
Vehicle Drop Off
Drop Off time is between 8:00 AM and 10:30 AM
A charge of US$30/hour applies for a late vehicle return. Later drop-offs will not be entitled to get a complimentary transfer to the airport hotels or airport..
Early Bird Discounts
A discount applies to the Standard Daily Rate for booking well in advance, as follows -
- 15 October 2018 - 15%
- 30 November 2018 - 10%
- 31 January 2018 - 5%
With pick up on or after 1 April 2019
The minimum age for the rental of a RV is 25 (younger upon request only) to a maximum of 79 years
All passengers in the motor home have to be buckled up. Children, typically up to 6 years or 60 pounds, need to be in a child seat (check with state laws). Child Seats are not available for hire. Further reading is available on the Child Seats information page.
The parents or guardians are responsible that the applicable laws in regards to child or booster seat are followed.
Pets are not allowed in any RV.
Smoking is not allowed in any RV. A minimum fee of US$250 for cleaning / deodorizing applies.
Units may be winterized from November 1 to March 31 in New York
Units may be winterized from mid-October until mid-April in Denver
Units may be winterized from October 1 until April 30 in Seattle
Traveling into Mexico is not permitted. There is no insurance coverage in Mexico.
Traveling into Death Valley is not permitted between June 15th and September 15th.
Traveling within Alaska, Yukon and/or NWT (North West Territories) is permitted. Britz must be advised at the time of reservation.
Inner City of New York as well as Montreal and Quebec City in Canada are not permitted. No insurance coverage for vehicle theft in Montreal and Quebec City!
Private-, gravel-, dirt- or logging roads and other non-public roads, beaches, etc. are prohibited.
Britz will hold the customer fully responsible for accidents or mechanical breakdowns and thefts occurring in a travel restricted area! Insurance coverage will be void in case of violation!
Payment for rental charges and other charges must be received at time of booking. Without payment in full the RV will not be reserved for the customer. Payments are in U.S. currency. Local Taxes are due and payable in addition to the rental and/or purchase price. These Taxes vary depending on the Location and may change during the year without prior notice.
AMEX, VISA and MasterCard are accepted.
The cancellation must be notified in writing and the day of receipt of the cancellation is the date the cancellation fee is calculated -
- 60 calandar days or more prior to rental dates the deposit is non refundable. In addition there is a US$200 cancellation fee
- 59 to 30 calendar days prior to rental dates - 40% of the rental cost minus any applied discount plus one-way fee if applicable
- 29 to 15 calendar days prior to rental dates - 70% of rental cost minus any applied discount plus one-way fee if applicable
- 14 to 05 calendar days prior to rental dates - 100% of rental cost minus any applied discount plus one-way fee if applicable
- 04 to 0 calendar days (including no-shows) - 100% of rental cost minus any applied discount plus holiday surcharge plus preparation fee plus one-way fee if applicable
In addition to the charges mentioned above any confirmed surcharges must also be paid.
No name change is accepted when a surcharge, e.g. Holiday Surcharge, or an extended minimal nightly rent rule applies. Such name change will be handled according to the cancellation terms and result in a new booking.
Please Note: Any refunds may take up to 3 weeks to process. No refund will be given for delayed pick ups / early returns, unused mileage or 'no shows'.
Amendments are charged at a rate of US$50 per change. This applies but is not limited to changing the, drivers name, vehicle type, reducing the number of rental days, changing the pickup dates or locations. If the amendment results in changing the vehicle brand your deposit is not transferable. Where the hire is being extended, the amendment fee will not apply. Please note that amendments may result in the daily rental rate to be recalculated at the rate applicable on the date of the amendment for the entire rental period.
Name changes are not permitted inside 60 days of pickup under any circumstances. Dates that fall in the Burning Man Festival name changes are not permitted at any time once confirmed.
No name change is accepted when a surcharge, e.g. Holiday Surcharge, or an extended minimal nightly rent rule applies. Such name change will be handled according to the cancellation terms and result in a new booking.
Shuttle Service & Transportation
A priority shuttle service scheduling will be granted to customers who have supplied at least 72 hours in advance, via TO or online check-in, their pick-up location and how they can be reached to advise about the exact pick-up time. If customer should not have received such confirmation the day before pick-up until 4 pm, we advise the customer to call the pick-up rental station immediately but not later than 8 and 9 am of the departure day. If customers choose not to supply pick-up location 72 hours in advance, a complimentary shuttle service cannot be guaranteed.
- Clients cannot pick up the vehicle the day they arrive from overseas or trans-continental and it is recommended to spend the first night at an airport hotel or motel.
- Clients must call the rental station upon arrival or on the day of pick up between 8am and 9am at the latest to schedule the transfer time and place.
- Transfers are provided to (but not from) the following international airports:
- Los Angeles - LAX
- San Francisco - SFO
- Oakland - OAK
- Las Vegas - LAS
- Denver - DEN
- Newark - EWR
- Orlando - MCO
- Seattle - SEA
- Transfers are provided from/to airport hotels at all rental locations.
- In San Francisco/Denver clients will be picked up in downtown and in Los Angeles from Marina del Rey, Venice, Santa Monica for an extra charge.
- Transfers will be provided from Monday to Saturday between 11am and 1pm at the latest. There will be no transfers after 1pm.
- The complimentary permitted amount of luggage is in accordance with the airline regulations s for economy passengers ( (2 suitcases @ 50 pds / 23 kgs plus 2 pieces of hand luggage per person). Excessive luggage is the customers responsibility. The parents are responsible to provide according to the applicable laws a child seat or booster.
- Clients are not entitled to a complimentary transfer in case of late RV return.
Complimentary transfers are provided once a day to (but not from) the airports DEN/EWR/LAS/LAX/MCO/OAK/SEA/SFO (neither JFK nor La Guardia) and at all rental locations from/to named airport hotels. The complimentary permitted amount of luggage is in accordance with the airline regulations for economy passengers (1 suitcase max. 50 lbs. / 23 kg plus 2 pieces of hand luggage per person). Excessive luggage is the customer’s responsibility.
The parents are responsible to provide according to the applicable laws a child seat or booster.
Transfer & Distances to/from Britz station:
- Los Angeles Intl Airport (LAX) & hotels - 40 miles - free transfer
- Los Angeles Intl. Airport (LAX) (40 miles; no pick-up only drop-off)
- Marina Del Rey | Venice - 30 miles -no Transfer
- Santa Monica - 25 miles - no Transfer
- Downtown Los Angeles - 35 miles; no transfer
- Burbank Airport - 35 miles; no transfer
- Anaheim | Disneyland - 70 miles - no transfer
- One-way rental cars are available from/to Thousand Oaks
- San Francisco Intl Airport (SFO) & hotels - 30 miles - free transfer or use BART train ($10.75pp; 60 mins)
- Oakland Airport (OAK) & hotels - 15 miles - free transfer
- Downtown San Francisco - 20 miles - no transfer use BART ($5.15pp, 25 mins)
- BART train station - .8 miles - free transfer; BART goes all the way to SFO airport ($10.75pp; 60 mins) & Downtown SFO ($5.15pp, 25 mins)
- Las Vegas Intl Airport (LAS) & hotels - 5 miles - free transfer
- The Strip - 5 to 15 miles - free transfer
- Downtown Las Vegas - 7 miles; no transfer
- Denver Intl Airport (DEN) & hotels - 20 miles - free transfer
- Downtown Denver - 15 miles; no transfer
- Newark Airport (EWR) & hotels - 35 miles - free transfer
- JFK or La Guardia airports - 60 miles; no transfer
- Downtown Manhattan - 50 miles; no transfer
- NJ TRANSIT train stop - 3 miles - free transfer
- Train directly to EWR airport $16.50pp; 55 min)
- Penn Station in Manhattan $15.25pp; 80 min)
- Manhattan to JFK: Subway to Howard Beach $3.00pp or
- LIRR train to Jamaica Station $7.50pp then Air Tram $5.00pp
- Orlando Intl Airport (MCO) hotels - 17 miles free transfer
- Orlando Intl Airport (MCO) - 17 miles no pick-up only drop-off
- Sanford International airport 25 miles; no transfer
- Disneyworld - Disneyworld hotel; 23 miles no transfers
- International Drive 8 miles no transfer
- Seattle Intl. Airport (SEA) hotels (3 miles radius from our location; free transfer)
- Seattle Intl. Airport (SEA) (1 mile; no pick-up only drop-off)
- Downtown Seattle (12 miles; no transfer)
- Public transportation via Tukwila International Boulevard Light Rail Station (1/3 mile):
- SEA airport (approx. $2.25/PP; 3 min)
- Downtown Seattle (approx. $3.00/PP; 30 min)
Dallas Forth Worth
- Dallas Fort Worth Intl. Airport (DFW) & -hotels (35 miles; no transfer)
- Dallas Love Field Airport (DAL) (32 miles; no transfer)
- Downtown Dallas Forth Worth (31 miles; no transfer)
Online VIP Check In
Please take advantage of the online check-in feature to speed up the vehicle pick up process and to make you feel expected and welcome. Clients will require the Britz booking number, the pick up date and pick up location to access the system and enter your information. The online check in can be accessed 48 hours after you have received your confirmation by email and up to 4 days prior to the scheduled vehicle pick up. Please use the following secure link (which is also on your confirmation voucher): Online VIP Check In
Staff speak German & English at all locations - Dutch, French, Italian & Spanish at some locations. After completing the paperwork the clients get a very thorough personal walk-thru of the recreational vehicle. In addition every vehicle is equipped with an operation manual in English/German. In case of an emergency, accident or technical problems, clients may call the emergency toll free number 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Britz requires a security deposit of US$1,000.00 at the time of pickup (Credit Card only!). Additional deposit may be required for special events e.g. Coachella or Burning Man, Stagecoach, Further Future, “NASCAR, when a surcharge applies or if no mileage has been pre-paid etc Security Deposit will be authorized (not charged) on credit card at the time of pickup. Credit Card holder must be present at the time of RV pick-up. Drop off charges and/or damages will be charged to the credit card and/or the authorization. . Based on the credit card company rules, for reservations up to 29 nights we authorize the amount. For reservations 30 nights and longer the amount is charged on the credit card.
- Season Surcharge $1000 per rental, for all San Francisco pick ups $500 for all Los Angeles & Seattle pick ups & $300 for all Las Vegas pick ups. 19 Aug to 27 Aug 2019. When the August Season Surcharge is applied a $1,500 deposit is charged (and not just authorized).
- Season Surcharge $250 for Pick ups in New York 16th Sep to 5th Oct 2019
Burning Man Festival
A USD$1500 refundable cleaning and security deposit (credit card only) is required for this event. Name or credit card changes are not permitted on confirmed reservations and the main renter/credit card holder must be present at the time of pick-up.
Vehicles will not be handed over in case of insufficient funds for security deposit nor can you use a 3rd Party credit card. The reservation will be cancelled and prepaid funds are forfeited. NO exceptions will be made.
This year the requests to attend the "Burning Man Festival" will again coincide with the requests by families. To ensure that families can rent a motorhome and for operational reasons we discourage the relatively short Burning Man bookings. Currently we are not accepting ‘typical’ Burning Man bookings and will review again in the upcoming spring.
10-nights minimum when the August Season Surcharge applies
Additional Deposit after an Accident
Regardless of the customer being at fault or not, before handing out a replacement unit we request from the customer an additional US$ 2,000 charged on the credit card. Such amount will be reimbursed at drop-off (minus any fees/charges).
A valid original national drivers license is required and must be presented for each driver (no photocopies) at the time of pick-up. In addition it is recommended that foreign customers have an international driver's licence or an English translation of the license issued by their home country. All drivers must meet the age requirement.
If for any reason the booked RV should not be available, Britz reserves the right to substitute a higher-rated RV at no additional cost. Should a lower-rated RV be substituted, the liability is limited to the refund of the gross rate difference of the two vehicles.
If a customer requires the exact measurements to make arrangements with a ferry or other service such customer needs to book with our sister company Road Bear RV. For Britz USA we cannot guarantee the length of the assigned vehicle.
These additional items are available for hire and are payable upon pick up:
- GPS - US$70 per rental
- WiFi hotspot Up to five devices can connect with the WiFi hotspot which offers unlimited data(*) while traveling in the USA and Canada. With the WiFi hotspot a phone credit for national and international calls is included as well as the use of real-time navigation maps which also work offline. The daily fee for this service is USD 10 per day with a maximum of USD 150 per booking (plus sales tax when paid at pickup)
- Sunpass Transponder $5 night max $50 per rental Orlando pick up only
- Camping Chair - US$9.00 per rental (Inc in Stress Free Package)
- Generator Hire $3.00/hour payable at drop off
- Season Surcharge Surcharge $1000 per rental, for all San Francisco pick ups $500 for all Las Vegas, Los Angeles & Seattle pick ups. 20 Aug - 28 Aug 2018 (13-nights minimum when the August Season Surcharge applies)
- Season Surcharge $200 for Pick ups in New York 17th Sep to 6 Oct 2018
(*) While data use is unlimited in its amount the following restrictions will apply: (1) Video playback on all TravelTab services and hardware may occur at a reduced resolution; (2) Activities with extremely high bandwidth demands, such as large file transfers, peer-to-peer network access, may experience slower download and upload speeds.; (3) TravelTab or the telecommunication provider may slow data download and upload due to excessive data usage and/or during periods of network congestion; and (4) TravelTab or the telecommunication provider may adjust the provided features and terms & conditions anytime
Sales tax will be added to all items not pre-booked as follows:
- Los Angeles - 9.25%
- San Francisco - 10%
- Las Vegas - 8.25%
- Denver - 4.75%
- New York - 6.625%
- Orlando - 6.5%
- Seattle -10% for reservations with more than 30 nights 17.7% for reservations up to 30 nights
- Dallas Forth Worth 8.25%
The Convenience Kit includes:
- Comforter, Cover for Comforter
- Sheet, Pillow, Pillow Protector, Pillow Case
- Bath Towel, Hand Towel & Wash Cloth
- Kitchen Towel, Cleaning Towel, Paper Towel Roll, First Aid Kit
- Broom, Dust Pan & Brush, Bucket / Trash Can, Cloth Hangers, Flash Light, Lighter / Matches, Levelers
- Glass, Cup, Dinner Plate, Salad Plate, Mixing Bowl, Knife, Fork, Spoon, Teaspoon
- Roast Slicer, Cookware Set, Can Opener, Cork Puller / Bottle Opener, Vegetable Peeler, Turner, Basting Spoon, Slotted Spoon, Grill Fork, Whisk, Coffee Maker, Tea Kettle, Measuring cup, Colander, Cutting Board, Plastic Containers, Toaster
Your Responsibilities while Operating the RV
Gasoline, Propane and Oil
The cost of propane, gasoline and oil is not included and Britz does not assume responsibility for estimates of consumption. All vehicles are delivered with full tanks and the customer is expected to return the RV with full tanks or will be charged for the refueling plus a service fee.
The customer is responsible for checking engine oil and coolant levels at each refueling as well as reporting mechanical failures immediately. Coolant refills and authorized repairs will be reimbursed upon return of the RV and presentation of all receipts (see Mechanical Breakdown). It is the drivers responsibility to operate the RV in a safe manner and to exercise all caution possible.
For maintenance & repairs exceeding US$50 the customer must call the Britz 24-hour toll free telephone assistance to get an authorization. Non-authorized invoices exceeding US$50 will not be reimbursed. Receipts and replaced parts must be presented to Britz for reimbursement. Customer will be held responsible for mechanical damage due to negligence in operation and/or maintenance.
In the Event of an Accident
Insurance coverage may be void if the following instructions are not followed: The customer must
- Obtain from the police officer investigating the accident a local police report,
- Notify Britz USA as soon as possible but not later than 24 hours after the accident,
- Provide not later than the return of the vehicle the completed accident report form which is supplied to the customer and located in the vehicle along with the registration & insurance papers; such full-written report must contain the other party's name, address, phone number, driver's license number, date of accident, etc.
Unauthorized Extension of the Rental Period
The clients are responsible to return the vehicle with the interior cleaned and holding tanks dumped. The vehicle outside does not require cleaning by the customer. Cleaning and|or dumping charges will apply as posted at the drop off location.
It is the clients responsibility to report and pay for all parking/traffic violations at check-in. Failing to report these violations at drop off will cause a charge of an administrative fee of up to US$100 plus the fine (including all late charges) to the clients credit card.
Toll Road System in the Florida Keys
Since February 2011 the Florida Turnpike Enterprise has implemented all-electronic open road tolling for the 47 miles stretch of the Turnpike, from US1 in Florida City to the Miami-Dade/Broward County line. The old tollboothshave been removed and the toll-fees cannot be paid in cash any longer.
There are the following options for payment to travel on the Turnpike:
- Contact the SunPass Customer Service Center by calling 1-888-865-5352 or visit them online at www.sunpass.com. Their representatives will provide information on how to obtain a SunPass transponder during the rental period. The transponder will allow traveling on toll roads by paying money into the personal SunPass account. Customers picking up in MCO may rent a transponder at the branch.
- To travel the Turnpike the TOLL-BY-PLATE program can be used as an alternative. This program captures an image of the vehicle license plate and bills the registered owner of the vehicle for the toll amount. The TOLL-BY-PLATE program allows the customer to call in to register for a TOLL-BY-PLATE account and to pay for the tolls before an invoice will be issued. Payments can be made by cash, credit/debit card online or through new payment kiosks located at major retail stores.
Florida State Law (Statute 316.1001) requires payment of prescribed tolls for the usage of toll facilities. Failure to comply with this statute may result in the assessment of a US$100 or more civil penalty, assessment of court costs, and suspension of the vehicle registration and/or suspension of the drivers license. It will be important for the customer to inform the Britz drop off location of the fact that they traveled on the Florida Turnpike regardless of what option they choose. In case that an invoice for toll fees will be sent to Britz as the registered owner of the vehicle, all charges due will be charged to the customers credit card on file and processed according to Britz rental provisions with regards to traffic citations (incl administrative fees).
Sunpass Transponder $5/night (max $50 booking) available with Orlando MCO pick up only.
Vehicle Drop Off
Drop Off Time: Between 8:00 AM and 10:30 AM
No complimentary transfers to the Airports and Hotels after 11:00 AM
Charges for late RV return or unauthorized extension of the rental period US$30 per hour or US$300 per night (plus applicable rental charges). The regular rental rates apply only with proper authorization through Britz prior to a rental extension.
The clients are advised to return the RV with the interior cleaned and holding tanks dumped to avoid any cleaning/dumping charges.
Generator use will be charged at US$3.00 per hour plus local tax.
Additional miles will be charged at US$0.45 per mile plus local tax.
Insurance and Liability for Damage
Public Liability Insurance
The Public Liability Insurance covers a 3rd party collision in the event that the renter is at fault. The insurance has no deductible. The policy protects the rental company up to US$ 1,000,000 and the renter to Statutory Limits (state mandated minimum liability coverage which can be changed by a state anytime without notice – you find the current limits online). Liability Insurance has no deductible.
Supplemental Liability Insurance (Optional)
The optional Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI) provides the customer with an increased limit of liability protection. SLI protects the renter and any authorized driver list on the rental contract for up to US$1,000,000 toward 3rd party damage claims.
Premium VIP Coverage
This is included in the daily rate. Security Deposit: US$1,0000 VIP includes secondary Comprehensive and Collision coverage for the rented vehicle with a deductible (liability) of US$1,000 per incident.
Coverage includes but is not limited to:
- Accidental damages to the vehicle (renters or third party's fault)
- Uninsured Motorists in case the renter is involved in an accident with a non-insured driver.
- Windshield & Glass Damage
- Vehicle Theft & Fire (personal property and items in the vehicles are always excluded)
No liability, comprehensive or collision insurance coverage is provided and the customer has full legal and financial responsibility in case of:
- Damages to the interior of the vehicle;
- Personal injury, personal items and property;
- Carrying more passengers than having seat belts available;
- Deliberate or willful damages caused by the renter or his guests; Damages caused to the vehicle by abuse or misuse for illegal activities;
- Damages where the customer is charged by the local authorities for being careless;
- Damages caused by freezing, e.g. unit not winterized, or overheating of vehicle or systems;
- Driving the vehicle without a rental agreement, in breach or violation of the rental agreement;
- Damages and accidents caused under the influence of alcohol, drugs or any other controlled substance;
- Damages and injuries caused by neglecting proper operating procedures, e.g. incorrect fuel type or quality ignoring oil or coolant levels, air pressure, etc., by overloading the vehicle and/or exceeding the legal towing capacity (towing limit is with proper equipment 1,500 lbs. – enclosed trailers, boats or vehicles are not allowed);
- Damages where the customer is showing gross negligence or willfulness in failing to abide by the local laws and rules or disregarding common sense resulting in damage to the vehicle or third-party vehicle or property;
- Operation of the vehicle by anyone not meeting the age requirements as shown on the rate sheet and rental terms & conditions, or not listed on the rental agreement or not having a valid, original driver license; and
- Damages and losses due to “off-road” usage, or caused during travel in or thru restricted areas, following incorrect GPS guidance, traveling into non-authorized areas including but not limited to the country of Mexico, the inner cities of New York, Montreal and Quebec (Canada) (see section 4.13 "Pet, Smoking and Travel Restrictions”).
Technical Difficulties with the Vehicle and its Features
While our first and foremost priority is to provide our mutual customers an excellent and high quality vehicle and service, unexpected technical difficulties can arise. To ensure that our mutual customers can enjoy their motorhome experience we provide an extensive vehicle explanation and with every vehicle an operations manual and the phone number of our 24-hours/7-days help line which is free of charge from any landline in the USA.
Please note: We are not returning phone calls or accepting requests to call a customer back because customers may be hiking, visiting a museum, etc. and not at the vehicle when we call. The customers shall call when at or nearby the vehicle.
When we receive a phone call we differentiate between an inconvenience and an emergency:
- We define an Inconvenience as something that requires the customer to spend additional time, a workaround or a non-safety related feature is not available. Examples are purchasing ice because the refrigerator is not working, the DVD player not working or the slide-out is not extending and therefore the interior space not increased.
- We define as Emergency when the motorhome cannot be driven safely anymore. An example is when the engine stopped working. In this case the Vacation Interruption (VIP) Insurance applies (see next paragraph).
VIP - Vacation Interruption Protection
Should the renters motor home vacation be interrupted by an Emergency as defined above, not accident or damages cause by the renter for more than 12 working hours after reporting such to Britz, the renter will be reimbursed for the greater of the gross daily rental rate or expenses for hotel rooms up to US$25 per person per night and car rental up to US$50 per day per motorhomes with a combined maximum of US$1,500 per rental agreement.
Please take note: In case of a claim, Britz will not act as an adjuster for any third party insurances purchased by the renter (such as US$0 deductible insurance, etc).