Escape Terms and Conditions
Conditions for RV Rental USA
Valid for travel up to: 06 January 2020
Summary of Rental Conditions
Summary of Terms and Conditions that form part of Escape Campervans Inc full Rental Agreement. Rates quoted are in US dollars.
Once the Rental Agreement is signed at the depot, the Renter is responsible for the vehicle and any or all damage or loss Renter or others cause to the vehicle to the extent of the liability fee.
Branch Opening Hours
There are three depots Los Angeles, San Francisco and Las Vegas.
We also offer remote Depots in New York and Miami. Please see the chart below for drop off charges and Minimum Rental periods. The only exception to these minimum days is with our Relocation specials.
For New York and Miami pick ups - Free-phone 1877 270 8267 These depots are set up as appointment only. We try and get you away between 10:00 am and 12pm.
Two new depots Atlanta & Vancouver opening 2018, Opening hours to be confirmed
8:30am - 5.00pm
Branches are closed on the following Public Holidays
- Christmas Day - 25 December
- New Years Day - 1 January
- Independence Day - 4 July
- Memorial Day - Last Monday In May
- Labor Day 1st Monday in September
- Thanksgiving - 4th Thursday In November
Vehicle Pick Up and Drop Off
Vehicles are available for pick up between 11am and 4pm and must be returned by 10am on the agreed drop-off date. Late returns up to 1 hour will incur a full day rental charge and possible other charges relating to compensating follow on clients.Clients can book an afternoon return, but they will be charged for the drop off day. No refunds will be granted for shortened rentals. There are no refunds for late pick up or early return of vehicles.
Rates are calculated as per night. Where a rental crosses into another season, the rate will split to allow for the new season rate.
Payment must be made in US dollars by Credit or Debit card; MasterCard or Visa. Note: A credit card is required for an imprint to the amount of the liability fee.
Vancouver Any amounts payable upon pickup, will be payable in CAD, at the spot exchange rate at that time.
Cancellations & Amendments
In the case of canceling your reservation
- 30+ Days from pick up, the deposit is Non Refundable. In addition there is a $100 cancellation fee.
- 14-29 Days from pick up, the deposit is Non Refundable. In addition 15% of the rental fee will be charged
- 8-13 Days from pick up, the deposit is Non Refundable. In addition 25% of the rental fee will be charged
- 0-7 Days from pick up, 100% of the rental fee will be charged a No Show is considered as a cancellation.
Amendments are charged at a rate of $50 per change. This applies but is not limited to changing the client name, vehicle type, reducing the number of rental days, changing the pickup dates or locations.
It is possible to extend a rental without incurring a fee subject to availability. It is possible to shorten a rental within 21 Days of pick up ($50 fee applies). Shortening a rental will be quoted as a new rental and will be calculated at the current rate with any current specials not applicable.
Please note that amendments may result in the daily rental rate to be recalculated at the rate applicable on the date of the amendment for the entire rental period.
Not available - please make your own way to and from the branches
Administration Fees / Taxes
Escape Campervans charge State Sales Tax as follows -
- 10% - Los Angeles
- 8.25% - Las Vegas
- 8.75% - San Francisco
- 7% - Miami
- 7% - New York
- 10.5% - Denver
- 17.7% (10.3% for rentals 30+ days) - Seattle
- 13.6% Phoenix
- 8.5% Atlanta
- 12% Vancouver
Vancouver also has a $.08/day government fee capped at $2.10 and a Passenger Vehicle Rental Tax at $1.50 daily capped at $42 (28 days).
Exchange Rate / Currency Variations
All credit card transactions are conducted in US Dollars. Due to exchange rate fluctuations there could be some variance in the amount refunded compared to the amount initially charged. We do not accept any liability for variances up or down. Refunds by credit card can take up to 15 working days depending on the renters Financial Institution.
Any balance due for Vancouver bookings will be paid in CAD at the branch at the spot exchange rate at the time.
Escape have more than 400 individually painted designs. Clients may like to request either Comic, Nature, Scenic or Surreal when they book. Escape will do their best to match up client requests with their allocated Campervan.
The minimum rental period is 7 Days. There is no maximum rental period.
One Way Rentals
One way rentals are available between all branches subject to minimum rental periods. A one way rental fee applies.
|Pick up Location||Drop Off Location||Drop Off
One Way Fee
|Minimum Booking Days||No Fees for Booking Days over|
|Los Angeles,San Francisco,
|Los Angeles,San Francisco,Las Vegas,Phoenix||$150||7||30|
|Los Angeles,San Francisco,
|Los Angeles,San Francisco,Las Vegas,Phoenix||Denver, Seattle, Vancouver||$250||7||30|
Note One way rentals are currently NOT available to or from Vancouver
Drivers License and Minimum Age
All drivers must hold a valid drivers license for the entire rental period, plus have a major credit card. Only drivers specified on the contract are allowed to drive Escape Campervans vehicles. All specified drivers with their licenses must be present at time of vehicle pick up. If the drivers license is not in the English language then an International Drivers Permit (IDP) is also recommended. An accredited English translation will be accepted in lieu of an International Drivers Permit.
Drivers must be 21 years of age or over. Proof of age must be ascertained by a valid drivers license.
Escape Campervan vehicles are designed for one to four person travel and there is no additional charge for extra drivers.
Maps and Campground Guides
Each vehicle is supplied with complimentary road maps and campground guides.
Included in the rental rate is all cooking and eating utensils, all bedding (duvets/comforter, sheets and pillows), outside picnic chairs and heater.
Extra Optional Accessories
All extras should be pre-booked to ensure availability
- Free US SIM Card - supplied free of charge on arrival
- Rooftop Bed - $25 per day (max $400)
- Roof Storage Box - $50 per rental
- Picnic Table - US$25 per rental
- GPS - US$5 per day (max $60)
- Baby Seats - US$30 per rental
- 2 Person Tent - US$50 per rental
- Solar Shower - US$10 per rental
- Sunshade Awning - US$50 per rental
- Snow Chains - US$50 per rental
- Bike Racks - $50 per rental(fits to the roof so cannot order rooftop sleeper and racks)
- Burning Man Grooming Fee - US$1000 per rental
Rates include 100 miles per day.(averaged over the rental) Extra miles will be charged at US$0.25 per mile.
An additional 100 miles per day can be purchased for $15 per day (giving a total of 200 miles per day)
An unlimited miles package can be pre-purchased for $19 per day. (Available for bookings 10+ days)
Driving on unpaved roads (excluding county and state maintained roads), dirt roads, restricted areas and off road areas is not allowed. Renter is liable for all damages to vehicle, tires, towing charges and other expenses as a result of a breakdown, collision, or other, associated with operating Escape Campervans vehicles in these areas. Escape Campervans insurance protection will also be null and void. The following are restricted areas:
- Anywhere in Mexico
- Any unimproved road, trail, track (excluding county and state maintained road)
- Any off-road areas (dunes, beaches, riverbeds, logging roads, forest trails, dirt trails etc.)
- Any Salt plains (including Burning Man festival) (Unless prior consent has been granted and the grooming fee has been paid)
- Death Valley between the dates 1st May and 30th September is one of the worlds hottest places and not safe to operate a vehicle. If you chose to travel through Death Valley in this period, you should be aware that you will be liable for any on-road assistance costs and repair to the Campervan. Insurance will be void.
- If you are planning on attending the Burning Man festival in Nevada, there is a mandatory $1000 cleaning fee for every van that attends the festival. Please advise us prior to departure if you are planning on attending.
- Any vans that attend the festival without telling Escape Campervans, are subject to a $2000 fee.
- CDW Insurance is not offered for the Burning Man Festival.
- SLI Insurance, however, does apply and is encouraged.
- Roadside assistance is not valid on the Playa. It is the renter’s responsibility to get the van back from the Playa.
- Rooftop Sleepers are not allowed for rentals to Burning Man.
- We do not allow our Big Sur models to go to Burning Man.
- We do not allow our Indie Camper models to go to Burning Man.
- We do not allow rooftop sleepers to go to Burning Man.
- Please note: all SF renters who will be picking up around the time of Burning Man and are NOT going will be required to sign a waiver confirming they will not attend.
- Please enjoy our vans responsibly!
It is possible to extend your rental without incurring a fee subject to availability
Mechanical Repairs & Accidents
Contact Escape on the 24 hour free phone number 1-877-270-8267 if you have any problems or any irregularities develop with the camper. Failure to notify Escape immediately of any performance irregularities, or damage could affect grounds for compensation.
In the event of a breakdown Escape will either:
- Provide a replacement vehicle
- Refund the lost days use of the vehicle or
- Extend the hire to account for lost days
Clients will not undertake any repairs without first contacting Escape.
There will be no refund for days lost, towing and any other expenses arising from Operator error.
Client acknowledge that Escape Campervans Inc will not be liable for retrospective claims due to vehicle malfunction or accident damage.
Hirers Obligations an Operator Error
The hirer must maintain the water, oil and tire pressures during their journey.
Hirers will be fully accountable for, but not limited to the following: Engine overheating, running out of oil, incorrect fuel put into vehicle, getting the vehicle stuck. Liability is total damage and expenses despite the liability fee amount listed on the rental agreement. (Liability relates to accident damage only).
- Escape Campervans are a no smoking zone.
- No pets are allowed (except designated Service Dogs) in the vehicle.
- All passengers must use seat belts while vehicle is in motion.
- Escape Campervans does not accept any Liability for any injuries incurred to passengers traveling in the back of the vehicle and/or while not using seat belts.
The highest level of Travel Insurance is strongly recommended to the renter.
Insurance is not included in the cost of the rental. The hirer is responsible for any damage caused to the Escape Campervan.
For peace of mind, you will be offered:
Liability Reduction Options (LRO)
The Standard Liability can be reduced by purchasing one of the following Reduction Options:
|Cost per day||Liability Fee||Bond Payable|
|Standard||Included in Rental||$2500||Credit Card Imprint|
|Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)||$10||$0||Credit Card Imprint|
|Supplementary Liability Insurance (SLI)||$12.25||$0||Credit Card Imprint|
NOTE Supplementary Liability Insurance SLI is not available in Vancouver
Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)
This costs only $10/day and reduces the Campervan liability (or excess) to $0.
Includes One Windscreen and two Tyre replacements per rental
Supplementary Liability Insurance (SLI)
This is to protect your clients against 3rd party claims if they injure a person or damage someone elses property. Basic Statutory limits for liability and property damage is included in Escape Campervans daily rate. The liability levels change between various states.
If the renters own travel insurance does not include liability cover to US$1,000,000 this can be offered at an additional amount of $12.25/day. The Liability Insurance is called Supplementary Liability Insurance (SLI) and is completely optional.
The renter is fully liable for any damage to the Escape Campers campervan or third party property if:
- The terms of the rental contract are breached.
- If the driver is does not hold an appropriate drivers license.
- Damage to the campervan is caused by careless, wilful or reckless driving.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Driving on unsealed or restricted roads or restricted areas.
- Water submersion or saltwater damage caused through own fault.
All rentals are subject to the terms and conditions of Escape Campervans Rental Agreement. Rates, policies, terms and conditions are subject to change without notice. Escape Campervans assumes no responsibility for any detention, delay, loss, damage or injury that Renter might experience, no matter how it is caused or by whom.