Guide to US Theme Parks
The Theme Parks of the United States are among the best in the world offering some of the most exciting and exhilarating experiences for people of all ages.
Boasting rides and entertainment all year round, theme park adventures are the perfect excuse to take an RV rental vacation in the US.
Experience the thrills and spills of America's most loved theme parks and check out this complete guide on where to find the best ones out there!
Alabama Adventure, AL
Regarded as the “Best Entertainment Value in Alabama”, this theme park is Alabama’s second most visited attraction and is also accompanied by an impressive water park, affectionately known as “Splash Beach”
Popular rides in the park include Marvel Mania, Pirate Ship, StratosFear Screamer, Woodchuck Run and the Wild Gorge Run. There is also an entire section of the park dedicated to the kids, with fantastic rides like the Balloon Wheel, Marvel City Speedway and Motocross.
Location: 4599 Alabama Adventure
Parkway, Bessemer, AL 35022
- Cost: Single Pass - $54.99
- Website: www.alabamaadventure.com/
Magic Springs and Crystal Falls, AR
Specializing in thrill rides, family rides and kids’ rides, Magic Springs and Crystal Falls is a theme park with a difference. Experience the thrills of the X-Coaster, Arkansas Twister and The Hawke, before slowing the pace on the Diamond Mine Coaster, Plummet Summit and Rum Runner Pirate Ship.
- Location: 1701 E. Grand Ave., Hot Springs, AR 71901
- Cost: Single Pass - $44.99
- Website: www.magicsprings.com/
Santa Cruz Boardwalk, CA
Easily the “world’s best seaside amusement park”, the Santa Cruz Boardwalk offers a close proximity to this unforgettable California beach and the thrills of a classic amusement park.
Attractions here include a casino arcade, Neptune’s Kingdom, Laser Tag and Mini golf, while the Giant Dipper Rollercoaster and 1911 Looff Carousel are sure to keep the crowds coming back, time and time again.
- Location: 400 Beach Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95060
- Cost: Attractions and Unlimited Rides - $36.95
- Website: www.beachboardwalk.com
Disney California Adventure Park, CA
Experience the adventures that Disney has to offer at Disney California Adventure Park, where the sun never sets on fun. Highlights include Sunshine Plaza, Paradise Pier and “a bug’s land”.
Visitors of all ages will be blown away by the thrills and spills of rides like California Screamin’, the Golden Zephyr and the Grizzly River Run, while the kids won’t be able to get enough of shows like Duffy the Disney Bear, It’s Tough to be a Bug and Jumpin’ Jellyfish.
- Location: 1313 S. Disneyland Drive, Anaheim, CA 92802
- Cost: Single Pass - $68 to $76
- Website: www.disneyland.disney.go.com
Six Flags Magic Mountain, CA
Boasting more rollercoasters than any other theme park on the planet, Six Flags Magic Mountain in California is home to an impressive 18 coasters. Some of the best of these include Apocalypse, Dive Devil, Scream, Tatsu and The Riddler’s Revenge.
Those after something a little milder will enjoy Tweety’s Escape, The Looney Tunes Lodge, Sky Tower, Roaring Rapids and the Log Jammer.
- Location: 26101 Magic Mountain Parkway, Valencia, CA,
- Cost: Single Pass - $59.99
- Website: www.sixflags.com/magicmountain/index.aspx
Knott’s Berry Farm
As America’s first theme park, Knott’s Berry Farm has withstood the test of time and remains one America’s most loved. While in modern times it may not look that same as it once did, it is now a fantastic place to visit for those seeking thrill rides.
The park now encloses six themed areas, including Ghost Town, Fiesta Village, The Boardwalk, Camp Snoopy, Wild Water Wilderness and Indian Trails.
- Location: 8039 Beach Boulevard, Buena Park, CA 90620
- Cost: Single Pass - $33.99
- Website: www.knotts.com/
Universal Studios Hollywood, CA
As one of the oldest and most famous Hollywood movie studios still in use, Universal Studios Hollywood is an absolute must for any movie buff. Regarded as the “Entertainment Capital of LA” and “The Coolest Place in LA”, visitors can become acquainted with a number of costumed characters that roam the park, while also enjoying the 16 rides on offer.
- Location: 100 Universal City Plaza, CA 91608
- Cost: Single Pass - $74
- Website: www.universalstudioshollywood.com/
Dreams and fantasies will become realities when you take the kids to visit California’s Legoland. Boasting an impressive 9 sections, including The Beginning, Dino Island, Duplo, Village Green, Fun Town, Castle Hill, Miniland USA, Pirate Shores, Imagination Zone and Land of Adventure, this theme park will keep you amused for days on end and will have the kids never wanting to leave.
- Location: One Legoland Drive Carlsbad, CA 92008
- Cost: Single Pass - $59 to $69
- Website: http://california.legoland.com/
SeaWorld, San Diego, CA
San Diego’s SeaWorld is an animal theme park, oceanarium and marine mammal park suitable for people of all ages and walks of life.
Take a “Journey to Atlantis” or a “Bayside Skyride” before venturing up the SeaWorld Sky Tower and traversing your way down the Shipwreck Rapids. See the wonders of the ocean including the dolphins, orcas, pacific walruses, penguins, beluga whales and polar bears and marvel at just how amazing the underwater world is.
- Location: 500 Sea World Dr, San Diego, California 92109
- Cost: 7 Day Pass - $61.99 to $69.99
- Website: www.seaworld.com/sandiego/
Boasting the largest cumulative attendance to a theme park in the world, with close to 600 million guests since it opened, California’s Disneyland is without a doubt, the world’s best.
Divided into “lands”, the whole park is themed around the visions of Walt Disney himself, bringing to life the fantasies and expanding the imaginations of children from the world over.
- Location: 1313 South Harbor Boulevard, Anaheim, CA 92802
- Cost: Single Pass - $68 to $76
- Website: www.disneyland.disney.go.com/
Elitch Gardens Theme Park, CO
The best time you will have in Denver is at the Elitch Gardens Theme Park; home to a unique combination of thrill rides, family rides, kid’s rides and water rides. Concerts, shows and special events are also a frequent occurrence here and will keep everyone entertained for hours.
Roller Coasters are also a highlight of the park, with 6 on offer including Twister II, Sidewinder, Mind Eraser and Boomerang.
- Location: 2000 Elitch Circle, Denver, CO 80204
- Cost: Single Pass - $42.99
- Website: www.elitchgardens.com/
Lake Compounce, CT
As the oldest continuously operating amusement park in North America, Lake Compounce has stood the test of time and to this day remains a must for those visiting Connecticut.
The park itself is also home to a beach and waterpark (which is the biggest in Connecticut) while the theme park itself has more than 40 attractions on offer. The park is especially popular at Halloween, when it undergoes a transformation, providing a unique experience for both children and adults.
- Location: 271 Enterprise Drive, Bristol, CT 06010
- Cost: Single Pass - $35.99
- Website: www.lakecompounce.com/
Busch Gardens, Tampa Bay, FL
Nestled on 335 beautiful acres, Busch Gardens in Tampa Bay is an animal theme park with a focus on a tropical landscape, exotic animals and exciting thrill rides.
Boasting a thrilling African Safari and sun-soaked Florida vacation rolled into one, Busch Gardens is a fascinating place to explore, with plenty of different animals to see, a rich blend of thrilling rides and an eclectic mix of shops and restaurants to keep you entertained well into the late hours of the afternoon.
- Location: 10165 North McKinley Drive, Tampa, FL 33612
- Cost: Single Pass - $69.99
- Website: www.buschgardens.com/Bgt/default.aspx
Walt Disney World, FL
Every child dreams of one day visiting Disney World, so why not make these dreams a reality the next time you visit the vibrant state of Florida.
Disney World is part of a huge recreational resort that includes 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, 23 on-site themed resort hotels and numerous recreational and entertainment venues. See the pictures of those much-loved children’s tales come to life and embrace the inner child within!
- Location: 2101 Epcot Resorts Boulevard, Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-8442
- Cost: Single Pass - $82
- Website: www.disneyworld.disney.go.com/
Universal Studios, FL
Orlando’s version of Universal Studios also focuses on the entertainment industry, with a strong emphasis on movies and television. Visitors are encouraged to “ride the movies” on the 50 rides on offer here.
Popular favorites include The Incredible Hulk Coaster, Doctor Doom’s Fearfall and the Dragon Challenge. Meet celebrities like Marilyn Monrie, Betty Boop, The Simpsons and Popeye the Sailor Man, or enjoy one of the famous annual events including Mardi Gras, Rock the Universe or the Summer Concert Series.
- Location: 6000 Universal Blvd, Orlando, FL
- Cost: Single Pass - $112
- Website: www.universalorlando.com/Home/home.aspx
Six Flags over Georgia, GA
Part of the Six Flags chain, Six Flags over Georgia is the state’s favorite theme park, offering some of the best rides and attractions around.
The park prides itself on its roller coaster collection, with favorites including Z-Force, Mind Bender, the Georgia Cyclone, the Ninja and the Wile E. Coyote Canyon Blaster.
- Location: 275 Riverside Parkway SW, Austell, GA
- Cost: Single Pass - $34.99
- Website: www.sixflags.com/overGeorgia/index.aspx
Wild Adventures, GA
Wild Adventures is a theme park that has it all, including eight roller coasters, hundreds of exotic animals, shows, a water park and numerous exciting concerts. Offering an affordable escape and the opportunity to experience a real adventure, this 200-acre park is an ideal destination for the entire family.
- Location: 3766 Old Clyattville Road, Valdosta, GA 31601
- Cost: Single Pass - $49.95
- Website: www.wildadventures.net/
Six Flags Great America, IL
Six Flags America and Hurricane Harbor Water Park is regarded as the best water park in the nation. Located within the Chicago metropolitan area, this fantastic theme park boasts eight themed sections, with three of these specifically aimed at children, and a 16-acre water park.
With 13 roller coasters to tantalize thrill seekers and an endless array of entertaining shows to keep the whole family amused, a visit here will be one you talk of for many years to come.
- Location: 1 Great America, Gurnee, Illinois 60031
- Cost: Single Pass - $56.99
- Website: www.sixflags.com/greatAmerica/index.aspx
Holiday World and Splashin’ Safari, IN
Celebrating Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving and the Fourth of July, this theme park offers a unique blend of rides, live entertainments, games and attractions.
Best known for its wooden roller coasters, The Raven, The Legend and The Voyage, this park, there is a wealth of things to see and do here, with the possibilities for fun and adventure, endless.
- Location: 452 East Christmas Boulevard, Santa Claus, IN 47579-6152
- Cost: General Admission - $42.95
- Website: www.holidayworld.com/
Home to some of the fastest, tallest, wildest, gut-wrenchingest rides in the country, Adventureland Amusement Park has something for everyone.
The all new Main Street Arcade was designed for visitor’s playing pleasure, while the games areas are perfect for testing both skill and chance.
- Location: 3200 Adventureland Drive, Altoona, IA 50009-1697
- Cost: Single Pass - $35
- Website: www.adventurelandpark.com/
Six Flags America, MD
With every kind of ride, for every kind of rider, Six Flags America offers something for everyone. Thrill rides, family rides and kid’s rides will keep the blood pumping throughout your visit, while entertaining shows and concerts will light up your night and leave you wanting to come back for more.
- Location: 13710 Central Ave, Upper Marlboro, MD 20774-8639
- Cost: Single Pass - $49.99
- Website: www.sixflags.com/america/index.aspx
Michigan’s Adventure, MI
Michigan’s favorite amusement park is home to fun and dynamic rides that are guaranteed to thrill and delight. The most thrilling of these rides are the Cyclone Zone, Snake Pit, Ripcord, Shivering Timbers, Wolverine Wildcat, Funnel of Fear, Mammoth River and Mine Shaft.
The addition of the all new Beach Party area will keep water lovers happy and will provide endless hours of fun and amusement for the entire family.
- Location: 4750 Whitehall Rd, Muskegon, MI 49445
- Cost: General Admission - $26
- Website: www.miadventure.com/
Nickelodeon Universe, MN
Located within the world famous Mall of America, Nickelodeon Universe offers a whole new and exciting world of entertainment that can be enjoyed by the whole family. Highlights include the Ropes Adventure Course, the Avatar Airbender, Spongebob Squarepants Rock Bottom Plunge and the Tak Attack.
The park is free to enter, but you will need to purchases tickets to use the rides. Unlimited single rider wristbands are available.
- Location: 5000 Center Ct, Bloomington, MN
- Cost: Unlimited Ride Wristbands - $29.95
- Website: www.nickelodeonuniverse.com/
Worlds of Fun, MO
Combined with “Oceans of Fun”, this theme park boasts 43 rides and is themed around the Jules Verne book, “Around the World in Eighty Days”.
Thrill seekers will love “aggressive” rides like the Detonator, Fury of the Nile, the Patriot, Ripcord and the Thunderhawk, while the kids will have a grand time on rides like Charlie Brown’s Windup, Kite Eating Tree and Lucy’s Tugboat.
- Location: 4545 NE Worlds of Fun Dr, Kansas City, MO 64161-9307
- Cost: Single Pass - $43.99
- Website: www.worldsoffun.com/
Story Land, NH
Taking storytelling to a whole new level, Story Land is a place where the adventures that grace the pages of those classic story books, come to life.
Dive into Alice’s Wonderland on “Alice’s Tea Cups”, take a ride in “Cinderella’s Coach” and embrace your inner pirate on the “Buccaneer Pirate Ship”.
An impressive array of shows will also keep you entertained, while attractions like “Loopy Lab” and “Oceans of Fun Sprayground”, rarely disappoint.
- Location: 850 Nh Route 16, Glen, NH 03838-6209
- Cost: Single Pass - $27.99
- Website: www.storylandnh.com/
Clementon Park/Splash World, NJ
Clementon may be small, but it is packed to the brim with fun and adventure. Of its 24 rides, the most popular include the log flume, King Neptune’s Revenge and Hell Cat.
The waterpark is another great element of the park, with the kids sure to fall in love with the Torpedo Rush, Laguna Kahuna, Sky River Rapids and Shipwreck Bay.
- Location: 144 Berlin Road, Clementon, NJ 08021
- Cost: General Admission - $37.99
- Website: www.clementonpark.com/
Located on Route 110, New York’s Adventureland has been Long Island’s leader in family fun since 1962. Offering water rides, thrill rides, kiddie’s rides and family rides, the fun will be had well into the night.
Adventureland is also well known for its games, with some of the many available here including Long Range Basketball, Rope Ladder, Rising Waters, High Striker and the Goblet Ball Toss.
- Location: 2245 Broad Hollow Road (RT. 110), Farmingdale NY 11735
- Cost: Ticket Bracelets - $22.99
- Website: www.adventureland.us/themepark/index.shtml
The Great Escape and Splashwater Kingdom, NY
Easily New York’s most exciting theme park, The Great Escape and Splashwater Kingdom offers an exciting blend of both wet and dry rides.
Warm up with the mildness of rides like the Balloon Race, Convoy and Krazy Kars, before taking it to the extreme on the Mega Wedgie, Alpine Bobsled, Canyon Blaster and Skycoaster.
- Location: 1172 State Route 9, Queensbury, NY 12804
- Cost: General Admission - $45.99
- Website: www.sixflags.com/greatEscape/index.aspx
Boasting almost 65 rides in total, Carowinds has been standing strong since 1973 and has captured the hearts and imaginations of all who have passed through its gates ever since.
Each year at Halloween, the park transforms into “Scarowinds”, which includes numerous haunted attractions and incorporates most of the existing rides into a nightmarish experience. The kids are sure to love it!
- Location: 14523 Carowinds Boulevard, Charlotte, NC
- Cost: Single Pass - $41.99
- Website: www.carowinds.com/
Cedar Point, OH
Cedar Point is the only amusement park with four roller coasters higher than 200 feet, making it the ultimate destination for thrill seekers.
Other attractions include the mile-long white sand beach, an outdoor water park, an indoor waterpark and hotel, and Challenge Park, which is home to attractions like go karts and mini golf.
- Location: One Cedar Point Drive, Sandusky, OH 44870
- Cost: Single Pass - $46.99
- Website: www.cedarpoint.com/
As its name suggests, Hersheypark in Pennsylvania is located right near the Hershey Chocolate Company; one of America’s most loved confectionary companies.
The park itself is comprised of three themed areas, offering over 62 rides, which includes an impressive 9 roller coasters. It also offers some award-winning shows, including TAP: The Show and The Milkmen. After a day of fun and adventure, make sure you leave some time to spend at the chocolate factory itself, where your taste buds will be in for a treat.
- Location: 27 West Chocolate Avenue, Hershey, PA 17033-1671
- Cost: Single Pass - $53.95
- Website: www.hersheypark.com/
SeaWorld, San Antonio, TX
As the largest SeaWorld, this San Antonio theme park is home to some of the best animals, exhibits and shows in the marine world.
“Believe” is one of the newest shows to call the park home and focuses on the interaction between whales and their trainers. Visually concentrated on acrobatics, this unique show will undoubtedly be a highlight of your time here.
- Location: 10500 Sea World Drive, San Antonio, TX 78251-3001
- Cost: Single Pass - $59.99
- Website: www.seaworld.com/sanantonio/
Busch Gardens, Williamsburg, VA
Home to “thrilling rides, fabulous shows, charming villages and a rich culture”, Busch Gardens in Williamsburg is an action-packed European-themed adventure park that boasts all the charms of the 17th-century, with a modern day touch.
Check out European inspired rides like the Turkish Delight, Escape from Pempeii, Le Catapult and the Roman Rapids, or take some time to enjoy some of the many shows that are on offer.
- Location: 8817 Pocahontas Trail, Williamsburg, Virginia 23185
- Cost: Single Pass - $63.99
- Website: www.buschgardens.com/BGW/default.aspx
Noah’s Ark, WI
Located right in the heart of Wisconsin Dells, the Waterpark Capital of the World, lies Noah’s Ark; an exciting waterpark home to a thrilling 49 waterslides, two giant wavepools, bumper boats, a mammoth 4D Movie Theater and four children’s water play areas.
Experience some summer fun and immerse yourself in this waterworld that is hard to beat.
- Location: 1410 Wisconsin Dells Parkway, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965-8445
- Cost: All-Day Unlimited Pass - $35.99
- Website: www.noahsarkwaterpark.com/